These fresh lemon iced tea popsicles turn your favourite frosty summer drink into a refreshing popsicle.
Is there anything better than a tall glass of frosty lemon iced tea on a hot (or not so hot!) day? How about a eating it as a cooling popsicle?
Like most of my other popsicle recipes these lemon iced tea popsicles are easy to make with minimal equipment. They popsicles have multiple layers of lemon flavour with lemon juice, lemon scented tea and lemon verbena. Lemon verbena is a type of lemon scented herb that adds a lovely extra depth of flavour to these popsicles. You could also try using lemon balm or they work well without it.
Looking with the same tangy lemon taste but a bit creamier? Why not try making my fabulous homemade lemon ice cream. Luscious, creamy and bursting with lemon flavor!
To make the lemon iced tea popsicles
To start with place the tea bags into a large heat proof jug. Pick and add the lemon verbena leaves if using. Pour in boiling water, stir well and allow to brew for seven minutes. I found this was the right amount of time to get good tea flavour without it being to weak or overly tanny.
Remove tea bags and leaves. Add sugar and stir until dissolved and well mixed in.
Squeese lemons and strain juice. Add to tea mix. Top up tea mix with enough cold water to make 34oz (1 litre).
Hot tip: make sure there is enough space in your freezer for the moulds Before filling and trying to put them in the freezer, or there will be tears!
Cut up lemon slices if using and put in one slice per mould. The lemon slices are optional but I find they give a great look to the popsicles and an extra lemony hit when you're eating them. Top the moulds up with with tea mix and add sticks. Carefully put into the freezer, these are very liquidy and can spill easily.
Freeze for at least 24 hours. Don't try to remove from moulds before this or they have a tendency to break apart.
Remove from moulds and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe? I'd love to know how it when in the comments below 🙂
Lemon iced tea popsicles
- popsicle mould and sticks
- 5 Lemon scented tea bags *substitute with with regular tea if unavailable
- ½ cup (125ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice *approx. 1 - 2 lemons
- ¼ cup & 2 & ½ teaspoons (70 gms) caster sugar
- 20 Lemon verbena leaves *optional
- 1 lemon, cut into slices to put into popsicles *optional
- Place tea bags and lemon verbena leaves if using into a large heat proof jug.
- Pour over 2 cups (500ml) boiling water, stir and allow to steep for 7 mins.
- Remove tea bags and lemon verbeana leaves if using.
- Add sugar to tea and stir until dissolved
- Squeeze and strain lemon juice, add to tea
- Add cold water until it makes it up to 34oz (1 litre)
- Place lemon slices into moulds if using
- Pour tea mix into moulds, add sticks and freeze for 24 hours
- Remove from moulds and enjoy!