These strawberry, balsamic and black pepper popsicles take this gorgeous summer flavour with delicious savoury notes and turns it into a tasty popsicle.
Nothing say summer more to me than a huge bowl of fresh, sweet, perfectly ripe strawberries. I picked up a couple of large punets of locally grown strawberries from the Point Lonsdale Market on a weekend away. My kids just adore fresh strawberries and made major inroads on the punnets before I stoped them. Fortunately there was enough left over to make these delicous popsicles. Strawberry, balsamic and black pepper is such a classic combination. It sounds weird but honestly don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. The combination also makes a great topping on a classic vanilla ice cream, such as my no churn here.
To make the strawberry, balsamic and black pepper popsicles
Hull the strawberries and cut in half. Add to a small pot with sugar, balsamic and black pepper. I use freshly ground black pepper here. Its worth it to get the fresher, more bitey black pepper flavour. You could use pre-ground black pepper at a pinch but you want get the same depth of flavour. I don’t recommend using ground white pepper. It has a different flavour and I image will taste weird in these popsicles. Let me know if you’ve tried it and it tastes good!
Cook strawberries with the lid on, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved and strawberries are soft.
Allow to cool. Put mix into a deep bowl you can use an immersion blender in and blitz until smooth, or use a food processor. Strain mix to make sure there are not large lumpy bits left.
Hot tip: make sure you have checked there is enough room in your freezer for your popsicle moulds Before you pour in the mix, or there will be tears!
Pour into popsicle moulds and add stick. Freeze overnight or until set.
Remove from popsicle moulds and enjoy!
Strawberry, balsamic and black pepper popsicles
- popsicle moulds and sticks
- Immersion blender with chopping attachment or food processor
- 3 1/4 cups (750gms) fresh ripe strawberries
- 3 table spoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 table spoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Hull the strawberries and cut in half
- Add to a saucepan with the balsamic and sugar and pepper
- Cook over a low heat with the lid on, stiring occasionally, for about five minutes
- Allow to cool
- Blitz until smooth and strain
- Pour into popsicle moulds and add sticks
- Freeze for 24 hours or until set
- Remove from moulds and enjoy!