These fresh, firey pineapple, orange and ginger popsicles sing of sunshine and summer days.
Pineapple, orange and ginger juice is my all time favourite fresh juice. There's something about the sweetness of the pineapple combined with the tang of oranges and the firey bite of the ginger that makes my taste buds do a happy dance.
I was shopping at the fabulous Dandenong Market and picked up the ingredients for these pops. If you haven't been I highly recommend it the next time you get the chance. Its worth the trip and for me its closer than Queen Victoria Market, fabulous as it is. Its a great place to pick up some fresh ingredients for some of my other popsicles to using fresh fruit such as my hugely popular watermelon and chilli or my mango and coconut.
To make the pineapple, orange and ginger popsicles
Cut and core the pineapple and cut into smaller chunks. If you've never cut up a fresh pineapple before it can be hard to know where to start!
Break off the top by twisting. Cut the pineapple in half length ways, from the top to the bottom of the pineapple. Then cut in half again horizontally through the widdest part.
To cut off the skin starting from the top carefully cut around the top and curve of the pineapple. You want to remove as many of the brown eyes as possible so you may need to make a second pass, but without loosing to much of the yellow flesh. Continue to work around the pineapple until all the skin and eyes are cut off. You should now have a ¼ of a pineapple with the tough skin removed. Slice and dice into small pieces. Blitz pineapple pieces and strain.
Juice the oranges, strain and add to pineapple juice. You will need 20oz (600ml)
Grate ginger using a micro-plainer or the small side of a regular grater
Hot tip: Be very careful when grating the ginger to avoid grating your fingers!
Add ginger to pineapple and orange juice. Stir well then chill for several hours. Strain cold juice to remove ginger pieces.
Pour into popsicle moulds and add sticks. I like these silicon ones personally, they give that great instagramable look, but you can use whatever you have.
Hot tip: Make sure there is sufficient space in your freezer for your popsicle moulds Before you put them in the freezer, or there will be tears! This mix is also very liquidy so take extra care when placing them in the freezer so they don't spill.
Freeze overnight or until set.
Remove from moulds and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it when in the comment below and tag me so I can see your delicious creations! @KCAEIC or #KCAEIC
And remember to like Keep Calm and Eat Ice Cream on Facebook below for more great recipes!
Pineapple, orange and ginger popsicles
- popsicle mould and sticks
- mini or full sized food processor
- micro-plainer or grater with a fine/rind side
- ½ large fresh, very ripe pineapple
- 3 large ripe oranges
- ½ medium knob fresh ginger *add the whole knob if you like it hot!
- Cut and core the pineapple and remove skin *see photos for tips how to do this
- Cut pineapple into pieces and blitz untill smooth. Strain and place juice into a large jug.
- Juice oranges, strain and add to pineapple juice.
- Grate ginger using a micro-planer or small side of a regular grated.
- Add ginger to pineapple and ginger juice. Chill, then strain to remove ginger pulp.
- Pour into moulds, add sticks and freeze overnight or until set.
- Remove from moulds and enjoy!