These non alcoholic sangria popsicles are full of fresh summer berries and tangy citrus, infused with red wine and a touch of cinnamon. They have all the refreshing flavours of a tall glass of chilled sangria without the alcohol.
What is sangria?
Sangria is a type of mixed alcoholic punch which originated from Spain and Portugal. It is typically made with red wine and chopped fruit and sometimes has spirits and aromatics such as brandy and spices. You can also make it with white or non alcoholic wine. It's a very popular drink in Spain and served in bars, restaurants and at festivals.
Non alcoholic red wine: available at supermarkets and some liquor stores. I used shiraz in this recipe but you could use other types of non alcoholic red, or white wine to. You could use alcoholic wine but you will need to reduce the amount of wine a bit so it only makes up 50% in total and increase the orange juice to make up for it, or they won't freeze. You'll also need to freeze them for a good 12 hours, possibly longer, and they will melt fast when you take them out of the freezer.
Oranges: I used freshly squeezed orange juice in this recipe for maximum citrus tang. You could substitute with fresh, good quality orange juice or even your favourite orange soft drink. If using soft drink instead don't add the sugar.
Lemons: I used freshly squeeze lemon juice in this recipe. It helps give the popsicles some extra tang in the absence of alcohol. I don't recommend using bottled lemon juice, it won't taste the same.
Cinnamon stick: I used a whole cinnamon stick in this recipe and infused the flavours in the fridge for four hours. If you don't have cinnamon sticks or are running short of time you can use 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead.
Strawberries: I use fresh strawberries in this recipes. If you can't get fresh strawberries you can substitute with our other favourite berries, or leave them out. I don't recommend using frozen strawberries, they are usually quite large and the ripeness can vary a lot.
Blueberries: I use fresh blueberries in this recipes. If you can't get fresh blueberries you can substitute with your other favourite berries, or leave them out. I don't recommend using frozen blueberries, they are usually quite large and the ripeness can vary a lot.
Castor sugar: I use castor sugar is here so as not to compete with the other flavours in the popsicles. You could try it will other sugars such as raw or brown sugar which will add caramel notes to the popsicles.
How to make non alcoholic sangria popsicles
Juice the oranges and lemon, strain and add to a jug. Add about one cup of the non alcoholic wine and sugar. Stir well until all the sugar is dissolved.
Remove tops from strawberries and cut into bite sized pieces. Add chopped strawberries, blueberries and cinnamon stick to jug.
Top up with non alchoholic wine until total volume of liquid just under two and a half cups (600mls). For the best flavour cover and chill in the fridge for at least four hours.
Hop tip: make sure there is sufficient space in your freezer before filling your popsicle moulds, or there will be tears!
Remove cinnamon stick. Using a spoon transfer chopped fruit and distribute evenly between popsicle moulds. Top up with popsicle mix and add sticks.
Transfer to freezer and freeze overnight.
How to serve
To serve gently remove from moulds and enjoy! Great on on their own or with glass of refreshing summer punch. Delicious!
How to store
You can store these popsicles in the freezer an air tight container lined with baking paper for upo a two weeks for the best taste and texture.
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it when in the comment below and tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations! #KCAEIC
Looking for more yummy dessert recipes?
Why not try making
- Strawberry, balsamic and black pepper popsicles
- Lemon, lime and bitters popsicles
- Ruby grapefruit and blood orange popsicles
- Roasted fruit with prosecco and honey by Marcellina in Cucina
- Spiced red wine poached pears by A Baking Journey
Non alcoholic sangria popsicles
- popsicle moulds and sticks
- 1 and 1/2 cups (375mls) non alcoholic red wine such as shiraz
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons 22.5gms) castor sugar
- 2 large oranges - enough for 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon (100mls) juice
- 1/2 large lemon
- 6 - 10 medium strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Juice oranges and lemon. Strain juice and add to a jug.
- Add one cup of wine to jug.
- Add sugar and stir well until sugar is all dissolved.
- Cut up strawberries into small pieces. Add strawberries, blueberries and cinnamon stick to jug. Stir well.
- Top up jug with wine until its up to 2 and 1/3 cups and one tablespoon (600mls). Chill in fridge to allow flavours to mix, at least four hours, ideally overnight.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Use a spoon to transfer strawberries and blueberries evenly between popsicle moulds.
- Top up popsicle moulds with wine mix. Add sticks and freeze overnight.
- Gently remove from moulds and enjoy!
Pin it for later!