This space flavored homemade galaxy ice cream with sprinkles could not be easier. Perfect for Star Wars Day on May the 4th or a space-themed party.
Get ready to blast off with this no churn galaxy swirl ice cream. With its swirling galaxy colors it's pretty as a picture and super fun to make. And the best bit? It's a no churn ice cream so there's no ice cream machine needed! The perfect sweet treat to enjoy on May the 4th or for a space party for your little astronauts.
Recipe tips and frequently asked questions
What does the space taste like?
Believe it or not one of the things space tastes like is raspberries! The clever scientists over at The Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy in Germany found a chemical called Ethyl Formate in the center of the universe.
Ethyl Formate is one of the things that gives raspberries their distinctive taste. So I've added some raspberry flavoring to this ice cream for a truly intergalactic experience!
Thickened cream: I use thickened cream which has a fat content of about 34%. You could also use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream which is similar.
Sweetened condensed milk: the sugar and other ingredients in the sweetened condensed milk means no additional sugar is needed and helps keep a smooth texture when the ice cream is frozen without the need for an ice cream machine. This is not the same as evaporated milk and you can not substitute with it.
Food coloring: gel food color will give a good intensity of color compared to regular water-based color. For a galaxy colored I've used black, pink, purple and aqua.
Raspberry flavoring: the space flavor in this ice cream! Look for uncolored flavoring so as not to compete with the colors of this ice cream. If you are not a fan of raspberry you could use vanilla extract instead if you prefer.
Galaxy sprinkles: add some extra fun and color to this space-themed ice cream.
Glucose syrup (optional): also called confectioner’s glucose. You can get in from specialty baking shops, online and some supermarkets. A small amount of glucose syrup helps lower the freezer point of ice cream and improves the texture and scoop-ability of the ice cream.
You can substitute with the same amount of light corn syrup or powdered dextrose. Measure carefully, preferably using a digital kitchen scale, and don't add too much or your ice cream will melt in a red hot minute!
How to make galaxy Ice Cream
See the full recipe card at the end of the post for ingredient amounts and instructions.
Divide the sweetened condensed milk into four bowls. Add different food colors to each bowl and mix well until the desired intensity of the color is reached, keeping in mind the color will be diluted when the whipped cream is added.
Add a couple of tablespoons of the cream and the glucose syrup to a small microwave-proof bowl. Microwave for ten to fifteen seconds until warmed. Mix well to combine. Allow to cool.
Put the rest of the cream into a bowl and add the raspberry flavor and glucose syrup. Beat with a hand electric beaters or in a stand mixer until firm peaks form.
Divide the whipped cream between each container. Gently fold the cream into each of the different colors, taking care not to knock the air out of the cream. Layer the different colors into a loaf tin or shallow container.
Cover and freeze for at least four hours or until firm.
How to serve
To serve remove from the freezer, scoop, cover with galaxy sprinkles and enjoy! If you have not used the optional glucose syrup you may need to leave it out for a few minutes before it becomes soft enough to scoop.
How to store
Like most homemade ice creams this no churn ice cream will store well in a covered container in the freezer for up to two weeks. After this it may start to go a little icy, but it will still taste delicious!
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below and tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations! @keep_calm_and_eat_icecream
Looking for more yummy dessert recipes?
Why not try making
- 3 Ingredients Ice Cream (no churn vanilla ice cream)
- No Churn Chocolate Ice Cream
- No Churn Strawberry Ice Cream
- No Churn Coffee Ice Cream
Galaxy Ice Cream
- Electric hand beaters or stand mixer
- 1 x 14 oz (397 gms) tin sweetened condensed milk
- several drops Black, pink, purple and aqua food coloring
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- ½ tablespoon (15gms) glucose syrup
- ½ teaspoon raspberry flavor
- ¼ cup galaxy sprinkles, to serve
- Divide the sweetened condensed milk into four bowls. Add different food colors to each bowl and mix well until the desired intensity of the color is reached, keeping in mind the color will be diluted when the whipped cream is added.
- Put the glucose syrup in a small microwave proof bowl with two tablespoons of cream. Warm in the microwave for ten to fifteen seconds. Stir until well combined.
- Put the rest of the cream into a bowl and add the raspberry flavor. Beat on low while slowly add the glucose syrup mix. Increase the speed and beat with a hand electric beaters or in a stand mixer until firm peaks form.
- Divide the whipped cream between each container of colored condensed milk. Gently fold the cream into each of the different colors, taking care not to knock the air out of the cream. Layer the different colors into a loaf tin or shallow container.
- Cover and freeze for at least four hours or until firm.
- To serve remove from the freezer, add some sprinkles and enjoy! May the 4th be with you!
Nutritional information is an estimate based on an online database. The nutritional content of ingredients may vary by brand. If you require accurate nutritional information, you should calculate this based on the specific brands and products you are using.
Join the community!
Like Keep Calm and Eat Ice Cream on Facebook for more great recipes
Pin it for later!