This homemade banana ice cream is full of fresh banana flavour, caramel notes and a hint of nutmeg. You won't believe bananas can taste this good!
What is a banana classified as?
Bananas are a type of fruit we all know and love. Botanically they are classified as a type of berry. The seeds inside bananas have been cultivated out to be almost non existent in commercially grown bananas.
Banana plants them selves are a type of herb and are the largest herbaceous flowering plants. Cavendish bananas with is typical long yellow curved shape are the main commercially grown cultivars of bananas in the world.
Bananas: make sure your bananas are nice and ripe, the riper the better. Green bananas don't have enough sugars in them.
Nutmeg: banana and nutmeg is such a classic pairing. A little ground nutmeg really adds to the flavour of this ice cream.
Brown sugar: also called light brown sugar. The brown sugar gives a lovely caramel note to this recipe. You could experiment with dark brown sugar, or use white sugar but it won't have the same depth of flavour.
Golden syrup: adds to the caramel flavours and helps stop the ice cream setting so firmly. You could use the same amount of maple syrup instead but your ice cream will freeze firmer, or leave it out all together.
Thickened cream: in Australia I use thickened cream, you could also use whipping cream or heavy whipping cream. Whatever you use needs to have about 35% fat.
Full fat milk: needs to be full fat milk or around 3.5% fat.
Vanilla essence: depending on your budget you could use real or imitation vanilla essence, or a scrapped out vanilla pod if prefer.
Salt: a pinch of salt helps enhance the flavour of this ice cream.
How to make banana ice cream
Peel bananas and slice them length ways. Add to frying pan with butter and brown sugar. Cook on a medium heat for about five minuts, turning once, or until soft and caramelised. Add golden syrup and cook for a further minute or two. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Add milk and cream to a deep jug or bowl you can use an immersion blender in. Add cooked bananas and butter and sugar from frying pan.
Blitz an immersion blender until banana is broken up and blended well into the mix.
Add nutmeg, salt and vanilla essence. Mix well.
Put storage container into the freezer to chill. If using a self refrigerating ice cream machine turn it on ten minutes before churning, other wise take the churning bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
Churn the ice cream. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
Transfer to airtight storage container and freeze for about four hours, or until firm.
To serve the ice cream
Remove from the freezer, scoop and enjoy! Fabulous on its own or as the basis for a classic banana split dessert. Delicious!
To store the ice cream
This ice cream will store well in a covered container in the freezer for up to a week. After this is may start to become a little icy, but will still taste delicious!
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below and tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations! @keep_calm_and_eat_icecream
Looking for more yummy dessert recipe?
Why not try making
- Easy vanilla ice cream
- Pandan ice cream
- Mango coconut popsicles
- Banana cinnamon roll smoothie by Whole food Bellies
- Banana and cinnamon muffins by KJ's Food Journal
Banana ice cream
- ice cream churner
- immersion blender
- 4 small ripe bananas (about X or 500gms)
- ½ cup (120gms) tightly packed brown sugar *or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (20gms) butter or marge
- 2 tablespoons (40gms) golden syrup
- 1 cup (250mls) thickened cream *or whipping or heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (250mls) full fat milk
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Peel bananas and slice them length ways.
- Add to a fry pan with brown sugar and butter.
- Cook for five minutes on a medium heat or until caramelised and cooked through.
- Add golden syrup and cook for another minuit or two.
- Remove from heat and allow cool slightly.
- Add milk and cream to a jug or deep bowl you can use an immersion blender in.
- Add cooked banana and sugar butter mix from the frying pan.
- Blend with an immersion blending until banana is blitzed and well incorporated.
- Add nutmeg, vanilla and salt. Mix well.
- Put your ice cream storage container into the freezer to chill.
- If using a self churning ice cream machine turn it on ten minutes before churning, other wise take the churning bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
- Churn the ice cream. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
- Transfer to storage container and freeze for about four hours or until firm.
- To serve remove from container, scoop and enjoy!
Pin it for later!