This easy matcha ice cream sings with matcha flavor, is egg free and simple to make.
Matcha can be a divisive flavor, you either love it or hate it! The key to this matcha ice cream is to have enough matcha to give it good flavor, without so much it becomes bitter and unpleasant.
Can't get enough of matcha? Why not try making my matcha cheesecake. The earthy, grassy matcha flavor combines with a tangy sweet cheesecake filling and buttery cookie base for a southeast Asian-inspired dessert that looks as good as it tastes.
Or why not try making my ube cheesecake. Its beautiful and delicious!
In the mood for more delectable ice creams? Check out my full collection of Cuisinart ice cream maker recipes (that work well in other brands ice cream makers too!).
Matcha powder can be found at some Asian supermarkets or can be easily ordered online.
This is a Philadelphia style ice cream i.e. made without eggs.
To start with add your cream and sugar to a pot and warm it for five minutes to dissolve the sugar. Add the matcha powder and give it a good stir. Don't worry if the mix is lumpy at this stage.
Remove from the heat and cool. Blend with a hand mixer. This will get out all the matcha powder lumps and give you a lovely smooth base. Straining the mix alone is insufficient, you need to blend it.
Add the salt and vanilla and mix in well. Cover and chill, ideally overnight.
If using a self-churning ice cream machine turn it on ten minutes before churning to chill, otherwise take your bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
Give the mix a good stir, pour into the churner, and churn until done, about twenty-five minutes depending on your churner. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done. Eat immediately or else transfer to a chilled container and freeze overnight.
Matcha ice cream
- ice cream maker
- immersion blender
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- ½ cup (120gms) granulated sugar
- 2 table spoons (30 gms) matcha powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- Add cream and sugar to a small saucepan. Sift in matcha powder
- Simmer over a low heat for about five minutes until sugar is dissolved. Don't worry if the matcha powder is still lumpy at this stage.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Add salt and vanilla essence, stir well.
- Cover a chill in refrigerator, preferably overnight
- If using a self chilling ice cream churner turn on ten minutes before churning, otherwise take bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
- Churn ice cream base in ice cream churner. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
- Eat immediately or transfer to a chilled container and freeze until desired firmness it reached.
Nutritional information is an estimate based on an online database. The nutritional content of ingredients may vary by brand. If you require accurate nutritional information, you should calculate this based on the specific brands and products you are using.