This easy matcha ice cream sings with matcha flavour, is egg free and simple to make.
After the very average matcha ice cream from Rice Workshop I reviewed recently I decided to have a go at making my own. Matcha can be a divisive flavour, you either love it or hate it, or though perhaps less so than my countries's signature flavour vegemite! The key to this matcha ice cream is to have enough matcha to give it good flavour, without so much it becomes bitter and unpleasant.
Matcha powder can be found at some Asian supermarkets or can be easily ordered online.
This is a Philadelphia style ice cream i.e. made without eggs.
To start with add your cream and sugar to a pot and warm for five minutes to dissolve sugar. Add the matcha powder and give it a good stir. Don't worry if the mix is lumpy at this stage.
Remove from the heat and cool. Blend with a hand mixer. This will get out all the matcha powder lumps and give you a lovely smooth base. Straining the mix alone is insufficient, you need to blend it.
Add the salt and vanilla and mix in well. Cover and chill, ideally overnight.
If using a self churning ice cream machine turn on ten minutes before churning to chill, otherwise take you bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
Give the mix a good stir, pour into the churner and churn until done, about twenty five minutes depending on your churner. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done. Eat immediately or else transfer to a chilled container and freeze overnight.
Have you made this recipe? Let me know how it when in the comment below!
Matcha ice cream
- ice cream churner
- hand mixer
- 2 cups (500ml) thickened cream
- 1/2 cup (120gms) caster sugar
- 2 table spoons (30 gms) matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- Add cream and sugar to a small saucepan. Sift in matcha powder
- Simmer over a low heat for about five minutes until sugar is dissolved. Don't worry if the matcha powder is still lumpy at this stage.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for five minutes.
- Add salt and vanilla essence, stir well.
- Cover a chill in refrigerator, preferably overnight
- If using a self chilling ice cream churner turn on ten minutes before churning, otherwise take bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
- Churn ice cream base in ice cream churner. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
- Eat immediately or transfer to a chilled container and freeze until desired firmness it reached.