This boozy Baileys ice cream is full of Baileys flavor. It has just enough kick to feel indulgent and is surprisingly easy to make with just five ingredients.
Why should kids have all the fun? This homemade Baileys ice cream is an indulgent boozy ice cream treat that's just for adults. With a wonderful smooth texture and creamy taste this ice cream has all the flavors of Baileys you love, with notes of coffee, chocolate and of course Whisky!
Normally adding this much booze to ice cream would turn it into a a slushy puddle. Good for milk shakes, bad for ice cream. The secrete to this recipe is to add a touch of gelatin, which helps the ice cream set despite the booze in it.
Read on to find out how to make this delicious Baileys irish cream ice cream.
Baileys: is a classic Irish liquor, also known as Irish Cream or Irish cream liquor. You can substitute for different brands of Irish cream if you prefer, just make sure it doesn't have an alcohol volume of no more than 17%, or your ice cream won't freeze.
Full cream milk: is best for this recipe. It needs to have a fat content of around 3.5%. I don't recommend using low fat milk, it will make your ice cream icier.
Cream: I use thickened cream which as a fat content of about 34%. You could also use heavy cream or heavy whipping cream which is similar.
Sugar: white sugar is best in this recipe. You could use castor sugar if you prefer. I don't recommend using other types of sugar, they will be hard to dissolve and will compete with the flavors in this ice cream.
Gelatin: a little bit of gelatin helps this ice cream to churn and freeze properly. Without it the amount of alcohol would prevent the ice cream from churning and freezing properly and you would end up with ice cream soup! Tasty, but not what we are trying to make here. If you really don't want to add the gelatin you can leave it out and reduce the amount of Baileys to three tablespoons (45msl), which will make it have a milder Baileys flavor.
How to make Baileys ice cream
Put the milk into a bowl and sprinkle with gelatin. Leave in the fridge for half an hour for the gelatin to bloom.
Add the cream and sugar to a bowl. Heat on low, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove the milk and gelatin from the fridge and whisk well. Add the milk and gelatin to the pot, stirring well make sure the gelatin is mixed in.
Turn off the heat and add the Baileys. Stir well and strain to ensure there are not lumps in the mix. Transfer to a heat proof container, cover and chill for at least four hours, preferably overnight to allow the gelatin to set.
Put your storage container in the freezer to chill. If you are using a self refrigerating ice cream machine turn it on about ten minutes before churning, other wise take your bowl out of the freezer right before churning. Churn the ice cream. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
Transfer to storage container, cover and freeze for approx. four hours, or until firm.
How to serve
To serve remove from the freezer, scoop and enjoy! Because the alcohol this ice cream scoops straight from the freezer. Fabulous on its own or will some chopped chocolate almonds almonds or extra Baileys drizzled over the top. Delicious!
How to store
This ice cream will store well in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two weeks. After that it may start to become a little icy, but it will still taste delicious.
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below and tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations! @keep_calm_and_eat_icecream
Looking for more yummy dessert recipes?
Why not try making
- Pina colada ice cream
- Chocolate orange ice cream
- Popcorn ice cream
- Cookies and cream ice cream
- Pina colada popsicles
Baileys ice cream
- ice cream churner
- 1 cup (250mls) full cream milk
- 1 tablespoon (5gms) gelatin
- 2 cups (500mls) cream
- ½ cup (110gms) white sugar
- ½ cup (125mls) Baileys
- Put the milk into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes to bloom the gelatin.
- Add the cream and sugar to a pan. Heat on medium, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk the bloomed gelatin and milk. Add it to the pan and mix well.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Add the Baileys and mix well.
- Strain the mix and transfer to a heatproof container. Cover and chill in fridge for at least four hours, preferably overnight to allow the gelatin to set.
- Put your storage container in the freezer to chill.
- If you are using a self refrigerating ice cream machine turn it on about ten minutes before churning, other wise take your churning bowl out of the freezer right before churning.
- Churn the ice cream. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done.
- Transfer to chilled container, cover and freeze for about four hours, or until firm.
- To serve remove from the freezer, scoop and enjoy!
Join the community!
Like Keep Calm and Eat Ice Cream on Facebook for more great recipes
Pin it for later