This coconut blueberry ice cream is a gorgeous mix of creamy coconut with fresh blueberries. Its refined sugar free and plant based with no eggs or dairy so great for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.
I've been making ice cream for ages but this coconut blueberry ice cream is my first crack at a dairy free version. A friend of mine has a little one who's dairy free and they have all been missing their ice cream. I was attempting to make cashew blueberry ice cream first, however the coconut really shines through in this ice cream. Its creamy and blueberry and still very delicious but I did make another one with just blueberries and cashews which you can find here. This version is still equally delicious but with a stronger coconut flavour.
How to make coconut blueberry ice cream
Its easier to make the three elements first, cashew milk, cashew butter and blueberry jam, then combine them all at the end.
To make the cashew milk
Cover the raw cashews with boiling water in a heat proof bowl and soak for one hour. If you're worried about the boiling water affecting the nutritional qualities of the nuts you can soak them in cold water overnight in the fridge instead.
Strain well, then add to a deep bowl or jug you can use an immersion blender in with the cold water. This can be regular tap water, it doesn't need to be cold from the fridge or room temperature. Blend well until the cashew milk is smooth with no large nut pieces. You can also use a food processor but I don't recommend using a blender. They are a pain to clean and the smaller pieces tend to get stuck int he bottom so you don't get an even, smooth mix.
To make the cashew butter
This element could not be easier. Put the roasted cashew nuts into the chopping bowl of an immersion blender or clean food processor. Blend until the nuts start to resemble fine bread crumbs. Add the coconut oil and continue to blend until you have a fine, smooth cashew butter with no large nut pieces and its lovely and smooth. This would be delicious spread on toast in place of peanut butter, but we have bigger plans for it!
To make the blueberry jam
Add the blueberries and maple syrup into a small pot. Simmer, stirring frequently until the blueberries and syrup is reduce by about a third and form a lovely concentrated jammy consistency.
Allow mix to cool. Put into a deep sided bowl you can use an immersion blender in and blend until smooth. You want to make sure all the skins are broken down to release that wonderful colour and grind up the blueberry seeds as much as possible.
Add the lemon juice and mix well.
To finish making the coconut blueberry ice cream mix
Shake the can of coconut cream well. Add the coconut cream, cashew milk, cashew butter, salt and vanilla essence to a bowl. Blend well with an immersion blender. Add the blueberry jam mix and blend well again. Chill in the fridge, at least three hours.
Check the total volume of your ice cream mix and make sure it doesn't exceed the maximum volume allowed of your ice cream churner. This mix made about 4 ¾ cups (1.125 litres). The maximum capacity of my cuisinart ice cream churner is 4 ¼ cups (1litre) so I took out enough to reduce the volume to this, then churned the last little bit at the end.
If using a self refrigerating ice cream machine like my cuisinart, turn it on for about ten minutes before churning to chill the machine and put your storage container in the freezer to chill. Other wise take the churner freezer bowl out of the freezer just before churning.
Churn the ice cream. It will be the consistency of soft serve when done. Eat immediately or transfer to a chilled container and freeze until firm.
How to serve
Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it sit for five minutes to soften up if its to hard to scoop. Delicious with some extra blueberries and a sprinkle of coconut on top or on its own. Dig in and enjoy!
How to store
Store this ice cream in a sealed, airtight container in the freezer for up to two weeks. After this the ice cream may start to become a little icy, but it will still be delicious.
Have you made this recipe? I'd love to know how it went in the comment below 🙂
LOOKING FOR MORE YUMMY DESSERT RECIPES?
Why not try making
- Blueberry cashew ice cream
- Coconut popsicles
- Coconut sorbet (coming soon!)
- Mango and coconut popsicles
- Vegan bounty bites
Coconut blueberry ice cream
- ice cream churner
- immersion blender with chopping bowl attachment OR a food processor
- 1 9zo (270ml) can coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch salt
- ¾ cup (110gms) raw cashews
- 2 - 3 cups boiling water, for soaking
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon cold water *from the tap or room temp is fine
- 1 cup (150gms) roasted cashews
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3 cups (450gms) blueberries
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Make the cashew milk, cashew butter and blueberry jam first, then combine the elements
- Put raw cashews into a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for one hour. *Alternatively you can soak the cashews in cold water overnight.
- Strain off water and put cashews into a deep sided bowl that's safe to use with an immersion blender. Add cold water and blend well with immersion blender, food processor or blender. Blend very well until cashew milk is smooth and no longer gritty. This may take several minutes.
- Add roasted cashews to chopping bowl of immersion blender or food processor. Blend, checking regularly until resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add coconut oil and continue to blend until a fine paste forms, similar to smooth peanut butter.
- Add blueberries and maple syrup to a small pot
- Simmer on low, stirring frequently until thick and jammy and water has reduced by about one third, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a deep sided bowl you can use an immersion blender in or put cool mix into a clean food processor. Blend until smooth and not gritty anymore.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
To assemble ice mix
- Shake the can of coconut cream well.
- Add coconut cream, cashew milk and cashew butter to a deep sided bowl. Blend well with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Add salt and vanilla essence, mix well.
- Add blueberry jam and mix well.
- Chill ice cream mix well, for at least three hours
- Check the total volume of your mix and compare to the the maximum volume of your ice cream maker. This made about 37 fl oz (1.1litres). If the liquid volume exceeds the maximum capacity of your machine you will need to do it in two batches.
- If using a self churning ice cream machine turn it on approx. ten minutes before churning, other wise take your bowl out of the freezer just before churning.
- Churn ice cream until its the consistency of soft serve. This took about 30 mins in my machine.
- Eat immediately or transfer into a chilled container and freeze until firm.
- To serve take out of the freezer for a few mins, scoop and enjoy!