This oaty rhubarb crumble is bright, fresh and tangy. Made with fresh rhubarb and a crispy crumble topping, its the perfect dessert for a cozy night in.
- 1 large bunch, or about 12 large stalks (1.6lbs 750gms) fresh rhubarb stalks without leaves
- 1 medium orange
- ½ cup (110gms) tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon corn flour
- ¾ cup (115gms) plain flour
- ¾ stick (85gms) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (100gms) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (55gms) brown sugar
Make the crumble topping first, then make the fruit filling
Pre-heat your oven to 375°F (190°C/170°C fan forced),
Lightly zest and juice the orange. You will need three tablespoons of orange juice and half to all the orange zest, depending how orangy you want it.
Clean, dry and trim the rhubarb stalks. Slice to into approx. 1 inch (2.5chm) pieces.
Add the cut rhubarb stalks to a bowl, mix in the sugar, orange juice and zest and vanilla. Sprinkle over the corn flour and mix well.
Transfer to a deep baking dish. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the top, leaving a few lumpy bits to crisp up on top.
Bake at 375°F (190°C/170°C fan forced) for fifty minutes, or until golden and delicious.
Remove from oven and serve immediately with some of my sour cream or vanilla ice cream or vegan custard. Delicious!