This chocolate sundae is made with a rich, decadent homemade chocolate fudge sauce, no churn chocolate ice cream and all the delicious trimmings.
Chocolate ice cream: I use my own no churn chocolate ice cream in this recipe. You could also use store brought chocolate ice cream, or mix things up with other flavours that pair well with chocolate such as my easy vanilla ice cream, strawberry ice cream or even no churn coffee ice cream.
Whipped cream: I used whipped cream in a can for this recipe for convenience, but it has no structural integrity so it will collapse quickly. You could make your own instead if you prefer and either pipe or spoon it on.
Chopped nuts: I use chopped peanuts in this recipe but you could use any sort of nut you prefer, or leave them out.
Chocolate wafers: I use pretty long round chocolate and vanilla swirl wafers in this recipe. You can use whatever wafers you can get or leave them out.
Chocolate fudge sauce: I made my own decadent chocolate fudge sauce for this chocolate sundae but you could use store brought.
Chocolate fudge sauce ingredients:
Semi sweet chocolate: I use semi sweet chocolate in this recipe with coco solids of 45%. For a less sweet sauce you could use darker chocolate with more coco solids, or for a milder flavour you could use milk chocolate.
Cocoa: I use natural cocoa powder in this chocolate fudge sauce for maximum chocolate flavour, but it is a little harder to dissolve then dutch processed cocoa powder.
Golden syrup: the golden syrup helps keep this sauce thick and flowing. If you can't get golden syrup you could use the same amount of light corn syrup, glucose syrup or you could try treacle.
Brown sugar: also known as light brown sugar. You could use dark brown or white sugar instead if you prefer.
Vanilla essence: a little vanilla essence helps enhance the chocolate flavour of this recipe. You can use real or imitation vanilla essence as your budget allows.
Cream: I use thickened cream in this recipe, also know as heavy cream or heavy whipping cream, with a fat content of about 35%.
Butter: I use regular salted butter in this recipe. You could use margarine instead if you prefer.
How to make a chocolate sundae
First make the chocolate ice cream and chocolate fudge sauce if making your own, then you can gather your ingredients and make the sundae.
How to make chocolate fudge sauce:
Chop the chocolate up into small pieces. Add the cream and chopped chocolate into a small pot on the stove and put on a low heat.
Sift the cocoa and add to the pot with golden syrup. Stir well really well. If you are having trouble getting lumps of cocoa out you may need to blitz it briefly using an immersion blender.
Add the brown sugar, vanilla essence and butter. Stir well and cook for another five to ten minutes or until sauce starts to thicken and is smooth and glossy. To test if the sauce is has thickened enough put a small spoonful into a small bowl and put in the freezer for a few minuits.
Transfer to a heat proof container and either use immedatly or store in a airtight container in the fridge until needed.
The sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, but I doubt it will last that long! If the sauce is to thick to pour when you take it out of the fridge you can microwave it in a microwave proof container VERY briefly. Like for five seconds.
To make the sundae:
Take your sundae glasses and swirl with chocolate fudge sauce. Add chocolate ice cream or whatever flavours your are using.
Top with more chocolate fudge sauce. Squirt cream on top and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Finally add a couple of chocolate wafers. Serve immediately and enjoy!
To store the sundae
This ice cream sundae is best made right before serving. If you want to store it you're best to store the individual ingredients before assembling.
Have you made this recipe? Tell me how it went in the comments below and tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations! @keep_calm_and_eat_icecream
LOOKING FOR MORE YUMMY DESSERT RECIPES?
Why not try making
- No churn chocolate ice cream
- Easy vanilla ice cream
- Strawberry ice cream
- Banana ice cream
- No churn coffee ice cream
- Immerson blender
- Two sundae glasses
- 6 scoops chocolate ice cream, home made or store brought
- ⅔ cup whipped cream
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- 4 chocolate wafers
Chocolate fudge sauce
- 5.2oz (150gms) semi sweet chocolate (45% coco solids)
- 1 cup (250mls) thickened cream *or whipping or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (6gms) coco powder
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ cup (120gms) tightly packed brown sugar *or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons (40gms) unsalted butter
- Make the chocolate fudge sauce first, then you can assemble your sundaes
Chocolate fudge sauce
- Chop up the chocolate into small pieces.
- Add cream and chocolate to a small saucepan and put on a low heat.
- Sift in cocoa powder and add golden syrup.
- Mix very well to incorporate all the cocoa powder and melted chocolate. If you are having trouble getting out all the cocoa lumps you can blitz it briefly and very carefully with an immersion blender.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla essence and butter.
- Cook on low, stirring frequently untill sauce starts to thicken and is smooth and glossy.
- To test if the sauce is ready put a small spoonful into a small bowl and put in the freezer for a couple of minutes. If the sauce is nice and thick its done, other wise continue to cook for a bit longer.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to an heatproof container and either use immediatly or store in an airtight container in the fridge untill needed.
To make the chocolate sundae
- Once you take the ice cream out of the freezer it will start to melt, so you will need to work quickly.
- Take two sundae glasses and use a spoon to swirl some chocolate fudge sauce around the glasses. If the sauce is to thick to spread/pour you can microwave it Very briefly for about five seconds to loosen it up.
- Add three scoops (or more) of chocolate ice cream to each glass.
- To ice cream with more chocoate sauce.
- Top with whipped cream. Top with more chocolate sauce.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Finally add the chocolate wafers.
- Serve immedatly and enjoy you decadent chocolate sundaes!
Nutritional information is an estimate based on an online database. The nutritional content of ingredients may vary by brand. If you require accurate nutritional information, you should calculate this based on the specific brands and products you are using.
Pin it for later!